- My nickname may be “Big Mack,” but I’d never in my life actually had a McDonald’s Big Mac until last week.
- Never a fan of fast food, I was worried it would taste disgusting, but it wasn’t as bad as I feared.
- It was also cheaper than I expected.
- I can see why some people would like it, but I hope to never have one again.
- It’s also worrying how popular they are despite the fact most people know they’re unhealthy, coming in at more than 500 calories.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
I’ve been on this earth for three decades. And yet, in all that time, I had never had a McDonald’s Big Mac, even though my nickname is “Big Mack.”
I know: it’s weird. Then again, until last week I genuinely couldn’t remember the last time I had even had fast food. I think it was Taco Bell during my first year of college at Boise State University (where our basketball stadium at the time was literally named the Taco Bell Arena). That was back in 2008.
It was probably foolish of me to casually mention this to my editor, because she suggested trying my first one at age 30 would make a great story. “You might learn something,” she suggested.
Spoiler: I did. Still, while the taste wasn’t as bad as I feared, I hope to never eat one again — especially while sober.