- Kanye West told a crowd in New York that he was considering legally changing his name to “Christian Genius Billionaire Kanye West.”
- At a surprise appearance at the fifth annual Fast Company Innovation Festival in New York on Thursday, West spoke about economic empowerment as well as his intention to run for president in 2024, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
- West reportedly bemoaned the fact that Forbes magazine didn’t give him billionaire status, even after he showed them “an $890 million receipt.”
- In order to get the point across, West told the crowd that he “might legally change my name to ‘Christian Genius Billionaire Kanye West’ for a year until y’all understand exactly what it is.”
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Kanye West has claimed he is considering legally changing his name to “Christian Genius Billionaire Kanye West” for a year.
The controversial rapper made a surprise appearance at the fifth annual Fast Company Innovation Festival in New York on 7 November, where he spoke with Yeezy footwear designer Steven Smith.
On typical form, West spoke about economic empowerment as well as his intention to run for president in 2024.
“Martin Luther King didn’t get killed because he had a dream; he had something else he was going to talk about,” he said, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
“He talked about black empowerment, economic empowerment,” said West. “When I did Forbes, I showed them a $890 million (£768m) receipt and they still didn’t say ‘billionaire’. They don’t want us to know that we can buy land; they don’t want us to have the 100 percent ownership [that] I have at Yeezy.”
He continued: “When people say it’s crass to call yourself a billionaire, I say I might legally change my name to ‘Christian Genius Billionaire Kanye West’ for a year until y’all understand exactly what it is… It will be on the license plate.”
West also reportedly sparked laughter upon mentioning his 2024 presidential run.
“When I run for President in 2024,” he began, interrupted by laughter from the audience. “What y’all laughing at? We would create so many jobs! I’m not going to run, I’m going to walk. When you see headlines saying Kanye’s crazy — one in three African Americans are in jail and all the celebrities are in jail also because they can’t say nothing, they got no opinion, they’re so scared!”
Kanye West and Kim Kardashian just expanded their ‘minimal monastery’ compound in Hidden Hills by dropping nearly $3 million on a neighboring home. Here’s a look inside the couple’s growing real-estate portfolio.